“The most important thing is to read as much as you can, like I did. It will give you an understanding of what makes good writing and it will enlarge your vocabulary.”– J.K.Rowling (author of Harry Potter)
In preparation for writing, students should draw from their own personal knowledge and research information from a variety of sources including historical and reference material, interviews, personal experiences, newspapers, academic journals, auto-biographies, films and television movies, or internet sources.
These researches are solely opportunities for learning. Plagiarism is not accepted and a disqualification act (for example: copying published information, submitting someone else’s
text as your own).
DESCRIPTION AND GUIDELINES
The contest is open to all Miami-Dade Elementary, Middle and High School students
in grades 3 – 12. There is a one-time fee of $10.
The considered grade is the one you were in when you registered, 2021-2022 academic year.
Writers may submit:
Elementary (grades 3 – 5):
One typed or hand-written story between 1,000 and 2,000 words
Middle (grades 6 – 8):
One typed story between 2,000 and 4,000 words
High School (grades 9 – 12):
One typed story between 4,000 and 6,000 words
- There is no restriction on style.
- Each story must be the work of one student and not the collective work of two or more students.
- By submitting the manuscript, the applicant certifies that the story is original, authored solely by her/him and has never been published.
- The story cannot be plagiarized or infringe upon the rights of any third parties.
- The story must be written in English.
- The story must have a title.
- The author must provide a cover such as a drawing, a picture or else.
- This is optional, but the author can add illustrations to the story.
- A 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner for each level is selected as well as a
Grand Prize per level, if deserved.
- Cash prizes are given to the Grand Prize, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places in each level.
- Creative writing workshops and certificates are given to all categories of winners.
- The Grand Prizes have each their manuscript published as a book and an audiobook preferably narrated by the author.
- The Grand Prize and 1st Places have a video clip made on an excerpt of their story,
- The Grand Prize, 1st, 2nd and 3rd Places who participated in the workshops have their full edited story compiled in an e-book.
- The stories are judged by professionals from the literary, educational and the art world on the following:
o Creativity and originality
o Composition and overall structure
o Sentence construction and fluency
Themes are exclusively FREE CHOICE.
APPLICATION ONLINE ONLY: deadline is May 31, 2023
SUBMISSION ONLINE ONLY: deadline is the First Day of Miami-Dade County Public Schools.
You can submit your manuscript ONLY:
– By email in Word or pdf format at firstname.lastname@example.org